Having recently moved to Sydney, Megan has over 5 years’ experience working as an economist in the UK Civil Service. During that time, she developed knowledge of transport appraisal and cost benefit analysis applied to a range of policy areas. From working in government, she has a good understanding of the inner workings of government departments.
Megan’s most recent experience includes appraisal of multiple rail investment decisions covering new railway lines, upgrading of existing key stations and improving journey service offerings. She has also updated the vehicle mileage forecasts used in UK Transport Appraisal Guidance, helping to improve the accuracy of air quality forecasts in Local Authorities across the UK.
Prior to that, Megan worked in Her Majesty’s Treasury and the Department for Communities and Local Government, shaping policy around local government spending and forecasting spending pressures on Local Authorities. She also worked to embed the Department for Transport’s published quality assurance framework, helping to ensure analytical results are communicated to senior decision makers effectively.
Selected project experience:
- Lead economist for the DfT East-West Rail Business Case
- Lead economist for the digital rail business case focusing on European Train Control System and Traffic Management technologies
- Development of a model to forecast spending pressures on Local Authorities and evaluating spending pressures on adult social care budgets
- Review of economic business cases for the UK High Speed Rail route connecting London and Birmingham, the introduction of SMART motorways and enhancements to the Strategic Road Network
- Forecasting UK car fleet mileage.