Robin Barlow is a founding director at NineSquared. He has extensive experience in transport economics, regulatory and public policy analysis. His skills and expertise include strategy development and public policy design, market analysis, regulatory and economic impact analysis, cost-benefit analysis, pricing and risk.
He is an expert in public passenger transport and has advised clients across Australia and New Zealand on a range of issues related to urban and regional bus, rail and ferry services. He has developed business cases on transportation and technology projects and has advised clients on complex procurement and contractual design matters. He has also advised on a range of public policy issues including the reform of regulated industries, contestability and pricing of government services.
Robin has advised public and private sector clients across Australia and New Zealand. Prior to establishing NineSquared, Robin was a Director at Deloitte where he focussed on providing financial and commercial advisory services to government clients. Previously, Robin was a senior executive at TransLink, the entity responsible for the integration of public passenger transport in South East Queensland and has held positions at the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads and in the Commonwealth Government at the Industry Commission.
Selected project experience:
- Provided advice as part of the tender selection group for the engagement of bus operators under gross cost contracts
- Developing a automated fare collection road map to help a government client make decisions about their investment in the next generation of public transport ticketing systems
- Developing the business case and associated material for approval by funding agencies for a major transport technology project
- Developing a channel management strategy for a major transit organisation in relation to acquisition and add value in the context of changing technology platforms.
- Commercial procurement advisor in relation to the development and procurement of bus service contracts in Adelaide, South Australia and Darwin
- Strategic review of options for replacement fare collection technologies
- Financial and commercial adviser for procurement of a technology intensive and service contracting entity for a government agency, including preparation of the business case, risk and value for money assessments
- ITS due diligence review for a toll road operator
- Estimation of the budget impacts of the introduction of the carbon tax
- Review of the economic and financial impact of the proposed Victorian taxi reforms
- Evaluating the competition impacts of contracting for the market in relation to bus services in South Australia
- Pre-feasibility cost benefit analysis of a proposed light rail system in Darwin
- Financial feasibility and contracting options for ferry services in Darwin