A director on the NineSquared team, Ken specialises in public policy, economics, regulation and project and program assessments. He has extensive experience in the reform and performance assessment of government businesses and agencies, including departments and government owned corporations. In both his previous Queensland Government executive roles and more recently as a NineSquared consultant he has analysed and advised on complex issues across many sectors, with recent prominence in the water sector.
He holds a Bachelor of Economics from the University of Queensland and is a Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
His consulting experiences with NineSquared include assignments for public and private sector clients across a range of project, policy and program reviews. These have ranged from peer reviews of business cases to reviews of the efficiency and efficiency of service delivery programs and undertaking comprehensive economic and financial assessment of infrastructure projects.
Prior to joining NineSquared in mid-2017, Ken held executive leadership positions in the Queensland Government, most recently as Deputy Director General of the Department of Energy and Water Supply and prior to that as Assistant Under Treasurer in Queensland Treasury. In these roles he provided strategic advice to Treasurers and Ministers across an extensive range of areas of public policy, ranging from structural reform options, evaluation and implementation, regulated pricing, organisation performance monitoring, risk management and project evaluation.
Earlier Ken worked as both a project manager and economist at the Queensland Treasury, where he led and project–managed large structural reforms in the State and Local Government sectors, including corporatising and incorporating government businesses, reforming pricing and implementing National Competition Policy reforms.
Selected project experience:
- Economic and financial assessment of bulk water infrastructure projects, including two large north Queensland irrigation projects
- Economic regulation advice on south-east Queensland bulk water prices
- Due diligence and risk assessment of a Queensland Government energy industry restructure project
- Program review of Queensland Government natural resources library facilities
- Policy review of role of the insurance industry in natural disaster recovery
- Peer review of bulk water infrastructure business cases
- Financial and non-financial assessment of service delivery within government departments
- Restructure of government-owned water businesses