Phil leads NineSquared’s Sydney office and brings almost 20-years of public and private sector experience in transport and infrastructure planning to the firm. Phil’s recent experience includes over six years at Transport for NSW (TfNSW) where he successfully led people and projects in highly diverse settings including infrastructure planning, infrastructure program management, strategy development and governance and funding reform. This included implementing a major organisational change program for the agencies’ business intelligence function and reforms to ensure a more consistent approach to infrastructure planning across the NSW Government.
Phil has held various senior advisory roles in Deloitte, Saha International and AECOM where he led projects across Australia as well as in New Zealand, South Africa and the United Kingdom. Phil has a BSc in Applied Economic Geography from the University of New South Wales and a Master of Logistics Management from Sydney University.
Selected project experience
- Developed the NSW Freight and Ports Plan 2018-2023
Reformed the business intelligence group within Transport for NSW, including establishing Open Data Policy and publishing new and improved data on public transport use and freight and land use forecasts
- Established NSW Common Planning Assumptions to improve consistency in modelling, assumptions and the use of data across key NSW Government economic and infrastructure planning projects
- Coordinated the development of the Easing Sydney’s Congestion program proposal
- Led public transport integration and freight management plan for the NorthConnex unsolicited project proposal
- Facilitated road access improvements for NSW heavy vehicle operators including expanding network access for B-triples in regional NSW
- Investment proposals, business cases, risk assessments and input into Environmental Impact Statements for Moorebank Intermodal Freight Terminal, the Northern Sydney Freight Corridor, High Productivity Vehicles in NSW, working harbour infrastructure in Sydney and the
- Brisbane Cross River Rail project
- Advice to the UK local and national transport authorities and the European Commission on freight issues including high productivity vehicles and heavy vehicle driver rest areas
- Implemented recommendations from the NSW Rail Heritage Review to reform governance, service delivery and asset management in the NSW rail heritage sector
- Oversight of the NSW Level Crossing Improvement Program